Many people plan for life events such as weddings and vacations well in advance, but many people do not plan for something that is certain to happen, their death. While most people do not want to think about their own mortality, the time to at least discuss pre-planning funeral options is now.
The primary advantages of pre-planning (also known as pre-arranging) your funeral is to remove very difficult decisions for your loved one to make in an already emotional time. Pre-planning also ensures your wishes are carried out, eliminating the task of second-guessing of what you would have wanted. Planning in advance will omit some long steps that your family would have to work through after you have passed away.
Surviving families feel relieved in an already stressful time when plans are put in place ahead of time. Please contact us to set up a meeting for having a well informed discussion. Our approach to pre-planning is focused on consumer education, information and listening to your needs. No commissions or pressure on our end, only a great conversation and support.
In my time of being a funeral director, I have never once had a family say “Oh, I wish my mom/dad didn’t do this!”
~ Krystal Riddell
Pre-planning and pre-paying your funeral is one of the most thoughtful gifts you can give to your family.
Top Reasons To Consider Pre-arranging Your Funeral
- Removes the burden from your family of having to make hard decisions at a difficult time.
- Ensure your wishes are recorded down, so your estate representative or next of kin will know exactly what you would have wanted.
- Complete some steps of the arrangement process so it will cut down on the time your family will spend making arrangements after your passing.
- It leaves direction for people who are taking care of you when you pass away, especially if you do not have family or next of kin.
- Remove the financial responsibility from your loved ones *if pre-paid in advance.
- Many people fear the “unknown”. Not knowing what is going on in an already devastating time adds additional and unnecessary stress to your loved ones.
- Having a plan will give direction to your family and will let them know what to expect.
- If you pre-pay your arrangements in advance, those services are paid at current day value and are sheltered from rising funeral costs. Meaning the family is not responsible for the cost of inflation through the years following your pre-arrangement date. The funeral establishment would be responsible for absorbing difference on unpaid funeral services, facilities, vehicles, merchandise and disbursements.
Pre-paying your funeral reduces the financial burden on your loved ones after your passing. We can co-ordinate a payments with no cost of financing, from a single payment to monthly bank account withdrawals. By pre-paying your funeral you eliminate your family second guessing on if they have spent too much or too little on your services. Pre-payment also protects you and your family from the cost of inflation. If your funeral costs less than the amount you have put aside, those excess funds will be refunded back to your estate.
Note: In Ontario your funds can be invested into Trust, Insurance or an Annuity.
If you are inquiring with different funeral providers, ensure you understand the terms and conditions of your agreement. Is there a cost of financing your services? This can add a substantial amount to the bottom line of your funeral contract. At Essentials we invest funds into Trust (Guaranteed Funeral Deposits) and our families will never pay more than the total cost of their funeral contract.
For consumer protection, laws in Ontario ensure that your pre-arrangement funds are invested in a third party account. These funds are paid out to the funeral establishment at the time of death, or if you wish to cancel your arrangements.
Each year thousands of people decide to pre-plan and pre-pay their funeral. These plans are designed to be flexible and can accommodate the many changes that often occur in people’s lives.
What You Can Do In Advance
- Decide on the type of funeral service you prefer: Burial or cremation, casket or urn type.
- Interment in a cemetery vs scattering.
- Pick what type of service you want (no ceremony, religious, non-traditional, celebration of life).
- Designate your pallbearers, pick any music or content you want at your ceremony.
Benefits of Pre-Planning Funeral
Up to 75 decisions are made within the first 24-48 hours of death. Understandably, it is difficult to think rationally while making so many decisions within days of losing someone. Pre-planning gives yourself, family and friends peace of mind. It’s easy. Anyone can do it, and you can change your mind at any time.
Are You Pre-Arranged Somewhere Else?
If you have arrangements made at another funeral establishment and you wish to transfer your services to Essentials (which is a consumer’s right), we can assist you. Arrangements and policies will differ from establishment to establishment. We will ensure your decision to change will best suit your wishes and financial situation, and that you won’t incur any loss by making the choice to move your arrangements.