Laurie Nickerson Obituary
In Loving Memory of

Laurie Elizabeth Nickerson

1966 ~ 2024

Obituary of Laurie Elizabeth Nickerson

It is with heavy hearts that we announce the sudden passing of Laurie Elizabeth Nickerson on February 3, 2024, at the NHS-Niagara Falls Site at the age of 57. She was a beloved soul who touched the lives of many with her kindness, generosity, and unwavering love. She exemplified the true meaning of a caring and big-hearted individual. Her warm spirit and open arms made her the best friend anyone could ever ask for. Laurie had an exceptional ability to make everyone around her feel seen and loved.

Laurie has been reunited with her grandparents Thelma and Gerald Haylor and her father Brian Warrell. She will be terribly missed by her loving mother Gloria (Gogo) Warrell. Laurie was a devoted mother and grandmother and leaves behind her daughter Tonya Sajbert, cherished grandchildren, William, Hope, and Faith, much loved brother Jeff Warrell (Corinna), dear uncle Bill Haylor, her adoring aunt Maureen (Momo) Deslandes as well as countless friends and supporters, including Ron Gibson, who will deeply miss her companionship and unwavering support, her fiancé, Mark Purcer, who stood by her side through thick and thin and Jeremy Elliot, who’s support to her, and her family never went unnoticed or unappreciated. Family meant everything to Laurie, and her love for her grandkids was immeasurable.

In addition to her family, Laurie and her best friend and soul sister, Lynne Jackson (Dane Nutt), shared an unbreakable bond that brought immense joy and support to Laurie's life. Her caring nature extended beyond her immediate circle, as she dedicated herself to helping others through numerous charities. She was a fierce advocate for children with disabilities, demonstrating her commitment to making the world a better place for those who needed it most. Laurie will be remembered for her loyalty, selflessness, and the positive impact she made on the lives of those fortunate enough to know her. Though she may no longer be with us in person, her spirit will live on in the memories and hearts of all who were touched by her love and kindness.

Her family would like to send a sincere thank you to the principal and the staff at St Gabriel’s school as well as all the physicians and caregivers that supported not only Laurie but also her grandchildren. We’d like to extend a huge thank you to the staff of the I.C.U at the Niagara Falls Site. The nurses there were a great help and comfort at such a difficult time. You were amazing in your care of Laurie and for this we are truly grateful.

In keeping with her wishes, cremation has taken place. Her family has set aside a time to comfort one another on Monday, February 12 from 6:00 p.m until 8:00 p.m with a time to share memories of Laurie to begin at 7:30 p.m at Essentials Cremation and Burial Services in Niagara Falls. In lieu of flowers, the family kindly requests donations be made to Niagara Children’s Centre in Laurie's honor.

May she rest in peace, surrounded by the love that she so freely gave to others.

Service Information

Visitation

Date: February 12, 2024
Start Time: 6:00 pm
End Time: 8:00 pm
Venue: 102A-4300 Drummond Road
Niagara Falls, ON L2E6C3

Memorial Service

Date: February 12, 2024
Start Time: 7:30 pm
End Time: 8:00 pm
Venue: 102A-4300 Drummond Road
Niagara Falls, ON L2E6C3

Write a Condolence

You can post a condolence to the family below (up to 200 words). To add a photo, click on the camera icon. If you plan on making a donation, please notify the family by posting your intent in a condolence.

23 Condolences
Inline Feedbacks
Terri Beacham
2 days ago

I am incredibly sad and sorry to hear such sad news, I had a great rapport with Laurie at the Niagara children’s centre. My thoughts and prayers are with each one of you.
Sincerely Terri Beacham

Marilyn Loewen Mauritz
4 days ago

Tonya, Gloria and family, my sincere condolences. While I haven’t seen Laurie in over 35 years, I can still hear her infectious laughter and see her bright smile. May memories of her comfort you at this time.

Rita Pranaitis
6 days ago

Gloria and family, such sad news. Although I hadn’t seen her in over 50 years, I remember she had given me a school picture of herself, a cute little blond girl. Thinking of you…

Arizona Asmussen
8 days ago

Tonya and family, my sincere condolences. Your mother was always so kind and welcoming. May she rest eternally, xx Arizona

Fady Shalaby (Health Plus Pharmacy)
11 days ago

My Condolences to Laurie Nickerson’s family. My thoughts are with you and your family. A donation to the Niagara Children’s Center was made in her honor.

In loving memory ...
I/we pledge to make a memorial donation.
Elizabeth Naar Gorhan
11 days ago

A substantial memorial donation to the Niagara Childrens Center was made in loving memory of our co-worker and friend Laurie Nickerson. We will miss her beyond measure. Your Falls Manor Family.

In loving memory ...
I/we pledge to make a memorial donation.
Jeanne & Joe Steadman (Nickerson)
12 days ago

It was a pleasure to know Laurie – she was our sister-in-law for a brief period in time – but we kept up the relationship over the years. We watched with admiration as she took her grandchildren into her heart and home and loved them as only she could. She was such a unique person with a heart of gold. She will be sadly missed. Our condolences and prayers go out to her family.
“Happy times and bygone days are never lost …. in truth, they grow more wonderful within the heart that keeps them.” Kay Andrew

Rest in the arms of Jesus, Laurie.

Jane Gouck
13 days ago

Laurie was a wonderful person and a dedicated Grandmother. Her commitment to doing the best for her three grandkids knew no bounds. She will be missed forever.

Diane (neighbor)
13 days ago

My condolences to Laurie’s family and friends. I didn’t know Laurie very well but we would chat when we saw each other outside. RIP Laurie.

Jenn and Chris
13 days ago

Our deepest condolences go out to Laurie’s family and friends. She was undoubtedly a hero without a cape. Her love and devotion to her grandchildren was unmatched. May you forever rest in peace Laurie and watch over all us 🙏. Much love from your friends Chris and Jenn ❤️🫂🙏

Sandra, Gabe and Ben
13 days ago

My heartfelt condolence to the family and friends. Laurie was loved and cherished. Rest peacefully Laurie. You will be missed by many!

Roberta Park
14 days ago

I was so sorry to hear of the passing of Laurie. My deepest condolences to family and friends. She will be deeply missed by all especially her grandchildren. RIP Laurie.

Tracy Tamas
14 days ago

I was extremely saddened to hear of Laurie’s passing. My deepest condolences to her family and friends. Her love and support for her grandchildren was unconditional and immeasurable!! I’m sure she will be caring for them from above. RIP dear Laurie!

Vivian Blanchfield
14 days ago

Dear Gloria and all of the Family
Scott and I (Vivian) send our deepest heartfelt condolences on the sudden passing of Laurie.
Still hard to believe and shocking. Laurie was a super gramma to William Hope and Faith and an amazing friend to all that she knew. Please know is watching from above and she will never forget and always watch over all of you. Keep all your memories so very close to your hearts.
With all our love we are here for you.God Bless all of you.

Rosemary Doyle
15 days ago

Dear Laurie. How I will miss you at Mark’s cottage this summer. The way you were with those grangirls, love, patience, fun in the water with them. You will be missed. Laurie, you were a role model as a mother and grandmother, never turning away when needed. Bless you girl

Tracy Tamas
15 days ago

My sincere condolences to Laurie’s family and friends! She truly was an inspiration to so many around her. Her love and support for her grandchildren was unconditional and immeasurable! I’m sure she will continue to protect them from above! RIP!

June Watchorn
15 days ago

My condolences to the family , Mark and all her friends,
Laurie was a 1 in a million person, her kindness, her huge loving heart, her brave non stop spirit.. I remember us as young children when her family lived on Lyons creek rd..
A life long friend to many , so many ppl loved Laurie, I hope you are at peaceful rest… xox

Lucy Porco (nee Muraca)
15 days ago

Dear Gloria, Maureen and families.
I was very shocked to hear about Laurie. She was such a lovely sweet person. May it comfort you to know we care deeply about you Loss.
Take care and comfort one another.

Kevin Boucock
15 days ago

Am so shocked, at hearing of this tragedy, Laurie was an incredible good hearted woman ,and she will be missed so very much,RIP Laurie, not forgotten

Brenda Desson (CTC 282)
16 days ago

My deepest condolences to the family. Prayers are in our thoughts at this difficult time. 🙏🙏❤️

The Muraca Family
16 days ago

Our deepest condolences to the family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Gone way too soon. Rest in Peace🙏

Sherry Quinlin
16 days ago

My sincere condolences to you all! Blessed I am to have known Laurie. Laurie and I (Sherry Quinlin) started out neighbour’s on Prospect, Tonya and Robert were about 2 yrs old. So heard to stop crying. Over the years we shared and supported each other with all the laughter, heartbreaks and struggle’s of the kids and now grandkids. I’m going to miss are late night early morning talks. My prayers for peace strength at this difficult time to all Family and friends. Party on heavens beach 🥰💐🙏😇💫

Bob & Debi Provost
16 days ago

We are shocked and saddened at hearing this devastating news. Laurie was a pillar of strength for William, Hope and Faith and has left them a legacy of love. Our thoughts and prayers go out to not only her family but her work family as well. Rest in Peace Laurie. You are loved and will be missed beyond measure. Bob & Debi Provost

Donations

The family of Laurie Elizabeth Nickerson would like you to consider placing a donation to one of the following charities:

Niagara Children's Centre
Visit Site

Note:  If you plan on making a donation, please notify the family by posting a condolence.

Send Your Love

171 people have sent their love.

Click on the heart to send a gesture of love to the family. While clicking on the heart is done anonymously, if you write a message under the condolence tab, the family will be aware you have clicked the heart.